We need your help to develop PPI training for patients and carers
Andy Henwood (view his bio), Patient Involvement Facilitator within the Kidney Patient Involvement Network (KPIN) with Professor Nicola Thomas (London South Bank University) are organising a series of workshops to define what kind of training and support is needed by patients and carers who want to be more involved in research, quality improvement, service design and policy (PPI).
To recap, KPIN is about encouraging and helping patient and carers who are or would like to become involved and/or engaged with Health Care Professionals (HCPs) to work together to develop a more inclusive treatment environment via a better and more co-produced activities and treatments around Service Delivery, Quality Improvement and Research through:
- Increasing the impact of the patient and carer voice through meaningful involvement
- Developing and embedding quality standards for the involvement of patients and carers
- Creating a network to share good patient involvement practice, collate and develop resources, offer peer support, and provide training to increase knowledge and number of patient leaders.
Aims of the workshops
Consider the learning needs which have not been captured in PPI resources already available such as:
- Understand what being a representative/lead entails and how to feel confident in the role;
- Understand the difference between speaking as an individual and speaking on behalf of others;
- Learn how to prepare and participate in meetings;
- Learn how to manage conflicts of interest;
- Learn how to influence others;
- Learn how to support others to have a voice.
Identify the most appropriate delivery mechanism for the learning needs identified (above) e.g. e-learning modules, videos, face to face training courses
Plan timelines and action points for the way ahead
At these workshops we will also discuss the proposed future KPIN training workshop topic(s) and resource priorities.
Further details to follow.
Interested in taking part?
Please complete this short survey and give us your experiences of involvement or engagement with healthcare professionals and organisations, as either a patient or carer. At the end, you can let us know if you want to attend one of the workshops.